300 Capiz Studes Aspire for DOST Scholarship
ROXAS CITY, Capiz (Dec. 10) -- Nearly 300 Capiceño high school students are aspiring to be included in the government scholarship program for next school year.
Information Officer Juafe Abariles of the Department of Science and Technology (DOST) in Capiz disclosed that a total of 283 graduating high school students were able to take the scholarship examination last month in Roxas city.
She revealed that of the 296 scholarship applicants, only 286 were able to take the said DOST- Science Education Institute (DOST-SEI) Undergraduate Scholarship Program for 2013.
Abariles explained that the scholarship program of DOST is open yearly to talented and deserving students who wish to pursue four or five-year baccalaureate courses in priority science and technology fields.
She said the program is contained in Republic Act 7687 Scholarship which aims to produce and develop high quality human resources who will man the Science and Technology (S&T) and Research Development (R&D) efforts in the country.
Qualifiers, she said, can enroll in state universities and other higher education institutions recognized by theCommission on Higher Education as Centers of Excellence or Centers of Development.
Students who will qualify in DOST’s scholarship grant will be provided subsidies on tuition fee and other school fees as well as book allowance, monthly living allowance for a 10 to 11 months duration every year and more, Abariles said.
According to her, this scholarship is their agency’s commitment to uphold the pledge of President Benigno S. Aquino III to support the expansion of scholarships granted to outstanding yet underprivileged students.
On the other hand, Abariles said that during the examination here, 32 children of Capiceño Overseas Filipino Workers likewise took the examination for the scholarship grant offered by the Overseas Workers Welfare Administration to children of OFWs.